Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pumpkin Bars

It's that time of year again. The time where Ben puts on the pressure to make all things pumpkin. Right when the first day of chilly fall weather hit, he was already asking for these pumpkin bars. Now that one of his best friends moved to the area (who also loves these pumpkin bars) my fight to wait until October was lost. Ben was in such anticipation for these that when he was asked in our small group a few weeks ago "what are you looking forward to this fall?" he answered "My wife's pumpkin bars!" Then I knew it... it was only a matter of time.

So, I made them. I love to please my husband in making these, but I do not love that it makes such a huge batch. If I don't give them away, then they will be in my fridge awaiting my husband's consumption. Not that it's a bad thing, but it is when he has no discipline to stop! It's at this time of year that I consider getting a padlock for our refrigerator. And, swallowing the key so he can not wrestle it from me! :)

I'm really not that strict. But, be aware when making these. Have plans to give some to your neighbors or friends, because if you keep the whole batch in your house, your husband will be 400 pounds by the end of November!

Pumpkin Bars (Adapted from Better Homes & Garden Cookbook)






Ingredients:


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
15 ounce pumpkin, 15 oz can
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting, See Cream Cheese Frosting recipe

Directions:

1. In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the eggs, pumpkin, and oil until combined. Spread in an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

2. Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours on a wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into bars.

Notes:

The original recipe also calls for 1/4 tsp ground cloves. I didn't have this the first time, so I do not use it.

I recently ruined my 15x10x1-inch baking sheet, so used a 17-inch and baked only 20 minutes. Worked fine.

Can also substitute one 15-oz jar of applesauce for the pumpkin if wanting to make Applesauce Bars. (Have not tried this yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment