Wednesday, September 24, 2008

German Potato Pancakes (Kartoffelpuffer)

I wanted to try something new. For our rehearsal dinner (3 years ago), we had different stations of food. At one of the stations they served miniature potato pancakes with different toppings. I remembered they were SOOO good and just had to Google for a recipe. After searching and comparing, I found this one to be the easiest with minimal ingredients.

One of the toppings served at our rehearsal dinner was crushed green olives. So, I threw a jar of green olives in the blender and chopped them up so we could have it as a topping option along with sour cream.. Other topping options I had for this meal were applesauce or butter.

These potato pancakes were very good! I did not make them miniature, like they were at our rehearsal dinner, but instead made them a full sized pancake. Be careful when topping with the olives, because it can be a very strong taste. Do not put too much on.

Ben loved this meal. He topped his with the olives and sour cream, then just ate the applesauce on the side. I served with green beans, but intended to serve it with eggs. I made a very last minute change because I didn't feel like making the eggs.

Next time I think I'll even try making a beef stew type topping. Ooohh yum.

The recipe comes from Sue Gregg website, but is a recipe by Ann Chandler. She cooks hers in her skillet and uses oil. I just used my nonstick griddle and no oil.

German Potato Pancakes (Kartoffelpuffer)
(adapted from SueGregg.com)

Serves 6 to 8

1. Blend Together:
3 eggs
1 Medium Onion Quartered

2. Peel, Chunk, & Blend:
5 Medium Potatoes

3. Add to Mixture & Blend:
1/4 to 1/3 Cup Whole Grain Flour to thicken
1 teaspoon Salt

4. Cook blended mixture in medium hot skillet. Spread as thin as possible with wooden spoon. Cook until golden brown turning only once. (Use about 1/4 cup batter for each batch)

5. Serve hot with choice of toppings such as:
Applesauce; Butter, Salt & Pepper; Sour Cream or Yogurt; Jam; Crushed/Chopped Green Olives

No comments:

Post a Comment